By Bill Dixon
80% of the emails I receive through this website go as follows:
Q: No matter how hard I try I feel like I will never be a good [writer, musician, painter, cook, burlesque dancer, comedian, tap dancer, juggler, misogynist, cow tipper, cat collector, etc.] I really want to be good but I just feel like I will never get there. Did you go through a crisis of confidence? What should I do?
The photo above represents a theory I have about artists:
Let (X) represent time in years (left to right: 0-10)
Let (Y) represent how awesome you are at your particular art form (bottom to top: “Someone please drown me in a urinal” to “I’m Awesome!)
- The orange line represents the rate at which a majority of artists grow into their art form, or the Generalized Artistic Growth Rate.
- The black line represents the artist’s perception of his or her art, or the Perceptive Rate of Growth.
So what does this mean to the aspiring artist?
If you think you are an amazing and talented individual, chances are you have not been participating in your artistic community for very long.
I call it the, “Dude, I could totally do that” phenomenon. It occurs in art galleries, restaurants, concert halls, and comedy clubs across the planet every day. Someone watching, listening to, tasting, or experiencing a piece of art leans over to a friend and says, “I could totally do that.”
“I could totally do that” is Day Zero. Now Day 1 is an important day:
- Day 1 is the day you realize you don’t know what the fuck the word “aperture” means.
- Day 1 is the day you figure out not to wear your nice jeans when you use oil paints.
- Day 1 is the day you are holding an acoustic guitar over your head trying to bounce the pick out of the body for the 10th time that day.
- Day 1 is the day you are scanning the thesaurus for synonyms for “happy.”
- Day 1 is the day you realize most chefs don’t use microwaves.
- Day 1 is the day you realize beat matching is fucking impossible.
- Day 1 is the day you realize Photoshop takes up an unbelievable amount of space on your hard drive.
- Day 1 is the day you gasp in horror when you find out how much the fluid head tripod for your video camera is going to cost.
- Day 1 is the day you realize that you are not holding the microphone close enough to your face and it’s no matter because no one is laughing at your AIDS joke anyway.
- Day 1 is the day you realize that those male ballet dancer “fags” could dead lift your Honda Civic.
- Day 1 is the day you realize “I can totally do that” is an unbelievably naive statement.
Now the horrible irony, the overwhelming, earth shattering, bat shit crazy irony is there is only one statement that can get you to Day 2.
“Dude…I can totally do that.”
So if you think your work is shitty and contrived, and for some reason you still wake up with that nagging voice in your head saying, “I could totally do that,” I would say you are on the right track.
Recent commentsBlog comments powered by Disqus
- tning likes this
- tning reblogged this from tinalove0807
- camillsies reblogged this from introvertedexcavator
- camillsies likes this
- tabcan likes this
- toyouandyouandyou likes this
- alcinanoita likes this
- alcinanoita reblogged this from iceeh
- despair-ation reblogged this from iceeh
- angearia likes this
- derivingthoughts reblogged this from iceeh
- iceeh reblogged this from inkwelldried
- inkwelldried reblogged this from princething
- panchromia reblogged this from mister13eyond
- mister13eyond reblogged this from princething
- a-ghost-butt reblogged this from princething
- inkwelldried likes this
- princething reblogged this from dangatorium
- whatadamnhipster reblogged this from thisismysearch
- whatadamnhipster likes this
- onmes likes this
- cancertocapricorn reblogged this from thisismysearch
- kmilaaf reblogged this from dangatorium
- willowtreemelodies likes this
- a-bittersweet-life reblogged this from dangatorium and added:
- tennantsss likes this
- zaphodforpresident reblogged this from willibeworth
- thebluemoonsister reblogged this from dangatorium
- damnedtodeutschland likes this
- whatsthemword reblogged this from dangatorium and added:
- werefuckingdoneprofessionally reblogged this from thebluemaverick and added:
- jdyeaton reblogged this from dangatorium
- livingdeadgirl-420 likes this
- rookofthesea reblogged this from dangatorium
- thebluemaverick reblogged this from dangatorium
- fortunecookiie likes this
- liltful likes this
- kokafor934 reblogged this from dangatorium
- 4rtless5incerity likes this
- breakdownintotheresolve likes this
- charliehasfeelings likes this
- raspberry-leviathan reblogged this from dangatorium
- raspberry-leviathan likes this
- halcyonhours likes this
- emiisstrange reblogged this from dangatorium
- thisismysearch reblogged this from dangatorium
- edgeofdecember likes this
- betweentheseaandthesky likes this
- tastes-like-feet reblogged this from dangatorium